Thursday, August 13, 2009

Teaching via Picture Books

I have been immersed in a big number of children’s picture books these days, which I feel supper happy about. To become a children’s book editor and writer is one of my career goals when I get back to China in the future, in addition to academic life. All the recommended picture books by different speakers are interesting in a special way. They offer various teaching points for classroom writing workshops.

This is a book I like very much which is fun to read and of multiple teaching points.


Teaching points:

1. Punctuation is the craft (e.g., …)
2. A sentence can be written across pages
3. Use speech bubble to add conversation
4. Use text in boldface and exclamation mark to express strong feelings
5. Write words into different shapes (to match pictures) (e.g., a curvy shape)
6. Use repetitive format
7. Dialogue can be added by people not shown in the picture
8. Use pictures to show emotions
9. …

No comments: